- Student information platform (Populi)
- Donation and support platform (e-Tapestry / Blackbaud)
- Credit card processing gateway (Authorize.net)
- 3rd party textbooks sales platform (eCampus)
- Social media platforms (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, LinkedIn)
Collection of Data
To ensure that we provide you with the best possible experience, we will store, use, and share information about you in accordance with this Policy. Personal Information is any information that can be used to individually identify you from a larger group, such as data including, but not limited to, your:
- First and last name;
- Email address;
- Telephone number;
- Date of birth;
- Mailing address; and
- Comments or messages provided in free text boxes.
The information that you provide in each case will vary. In some cases, you may be able to provide Personal Information via email or free text boxes, such as contacting CCMS to request further information. When providing your Personal Information, please provide only relevant information and do not provide unnecessary sensitive information. Additionally, we may ask you to create a user name and password that should only be known to you.
We collect personally identifiable information when you:
- Submit a form (example: registering for an event, updating alumni contact information). Required information is denoted by a highlighted field.
- Complete a transaction (example: paying Board member dues)
In addition, we collect the following information:
- The IP address from which you access our website
- The name of the domain from which you access the Internet (for example, aol.com, if you are connecting from an America Online account)
- The type of browser and operating system used to access our website
- The date and time you access our site
- The pages, files, documents, and links that you visit
- The Internet address of the website from which you linked to this website
“Cookies” are small pieces of information that some websites store on a computer’s hard drive when visited. Cookies are usually defined in one of two ways, and we may use either or both of them: (1) session cookies, which do not stay on your device after you close your browser, and (2) persistent cookies, which remain on your device until you delete them or they expire. Like many websites, www.ccms.edu may use aggregate data compiled by cookies to provide us information about traffic to our site. Collecting this information does not allow us to personally identify you.
Of course, if you do not wish to have cookies on your devices, you may turn them off at any time by modifying your internet browser’s settings. However, by disabling cookies on your device, you may be prohibited from full use of the website’s features, or lose access to some functionality.
Usage of Data
The information we gather and that you provide is collected to provide you information and the services you request, in addition to various other purposes, including, but not limited to:
- Assisting you with items such as personalized experiences, facilitation of product usage, and enforcement of any associated terms and conditions.
- Preventing malicious activity and providing you with a secure experience.
- Providing service and support for services you request.
- Providing marketing communications that are effective and optimized for you.
- Keeping you up-to-date with the latest benefits available from us.
- Preventing unwanted messages or content.
Additional uses may include:
Forms: We will use the information you provided for the sole purpose requested by you, including but not limited to contacting you, providing a service, processing an order request, etc.
Transactions: To complete ordering of goods or services on our site, you must provide the required information (i.e.: name, shipping address, contact info) and financial information (i.e.: credit card number, expiration date, billing zip). This information is used by us or an outside credit card processing company to bill users for goods and services transactions. If we have trouble processing an order, we will use this information to contact you.
Surveys & Contests: From time-to-time, our site requests information via surveys or fundraisers. Participation is completely voluntary and you may choose whether or not to participate and therefore disclose this information. Information requested may include contact and demographic information. Contact information will be used to notify the winners and awards. Survey information will be used for purposes of regulatory statistic gathering and monitoring or improving the use and satisfaction of this site.
Compliance: CCMS complies with all applicable federal, state, and local laws. CCMS develops internal policies, procedures, and guidelines for data and records retention to ensure compliance continuity with all laws and best practices.
Sharing of Data
We will not share your information with any third party outside of or unaffiliated with our organization, other than as disclosed or necessary to fulfill your request.
We will share your data if one or more applies:
- We have previously notified you that sharing the information is necessary
- We have your consent to share the information
- We need to share your information to provide the service or product you requested
- We need to send your information to companies who provide a service or product to you on behalf of CCMS
- The information is student directory information
- To respond to subpoenas, court orders, or any other legal requirements
- When it is necessary to protect and defend the legal rights and/or property of CCMS
- To protect your safety and/or the public’s safety
CCMS complies with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), which prohibits the release of education records except in limited circumstances. We also comply with the applicable provisions of the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act (GLBA) and the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) where relevant and appropriate.
Security of Personal Data
We take precautions to protect your information. Wherever we collect sensitive information (such as credit card data), that information is encrypted and transmitted to us in a secure way. You can verify this by looking for a closed lock icon at the bottom of your web browser or by looking for "https" at the beginning of the url. We only have access to/collect information that you voluntarily give us via email, website forms, or other direct contact from you.
You can do the following at any time by contacting us via the email address or phone number given on our website:
- Inquire, change, correct, delete any data we have about you.
- Express any concern you have about our use of your data.
While we use encryption to protect sensitive information transmitted online, we also protect your information offline. Only employees who need the information to perform a specific job (for example, billing or customer service) are granted access to personally identifiable information. The records/computers/servers in which we store personally identifiable information are kept in a secure environment.
Your California Rights
Pursuant to California Civil Code Section 1798.83, we will not disclose or share your Personal Information with third parties for the purposes of third-party marketing to you without your prior consent.
Other than as disclosed in this Policy, the website does not track users over time and across third-party websites to provide targeted advertising. Therefore, the website does not operate any differently when it receives Do Not Track (“DNT”) signals from your internet web browser.
For website visitors outside United States
Our website is designed for use by individuals in the United States only. We do not warrant or represent this Policy or the website’s use of your Personal Information complies with the laws of any other jurisdiction. Furthermore, to provide you with our services, we may store, process, and transmit information in the United States and other locations around the world, including countries that may not have the same privacy and security laws as yours. Regardless of the country in which such information is stored, we will process your Personal Information in accordance with this Policy.
Revised January 2021
Information Technology Usage Policy