Databases & Websites
Have a paper to write? The databases listed below contain authoritative, vetted resources provided courtesy of the Ohio Web Library.
What is the Ohio Web Library?
The Ohio Web Library is an evolving collection of thousands of online publications and research resources. The Ohio Web Library includes: popular magazines, trade publications, scholarly research journals, newspapers, encyclopedias, dictionaries, speeches, poems, plays, maps, satellite images of Ohio, and more. The Ohio Web Library supports quality education, a skilled workforce, business growth, and lifelong learning in Ohio. Ohio Web Library FAQs
Accessing the Ohio Web Library:
- Browse the topics below to locate subject-specific databases.
- Ohio Web Library resources are provided free of charge to all Ohio residents. Whether accessing the resources via a computer or mobile device, the system will try to verify that you are in Ohio; if that can be verified, you will be granted access.
- When using the computers at CCMS, click the “allow” button on the pop-up in order for the system to verify your location.
Find a Database or Website
General Databases & Encyclopedias
Books & Literature
- About: Books
- Information on books and authors.
- American & English full text literature collections
- The American & English Literature Collection contains many works of poetry, drama, and prose based on books and other sources originally published in print.
- Literary Reference Center (EBSCOhost)
- Full text of literary journals and respected literary reference works.
Business & Government
- Business Source Premier
- Business Source Premier is the industry’s most used business research database, providing full text for more than 2,300 journals, including full text for more than 1,100 peer-reviewed titles. This database provides full text back to 1886, and searchable cited references back to 1998.
- The World FactBook
- The World Factbook provides information on the history, people, government, economy, geography, communications, transportation, military, and transnational issues for 267 world entities.
- Ohio.gov: Government Information & Services
- Regional Business News (EBSCOhost)
- This database provides comprehensive full text coverage for regional business publications. Regional Business News incorporates coverage of more than 80 regional business publications covering all metropolitan and rural areas within the United States.
- U.S. Government websites (World Book Online Reference Center)
History & Biography
- Biographical Dictionary
- Dictionary of notable men and women which can be searched by name, birth years, death years, positions held, professions, literary and artistic works, achievements, and other keywords.
- Biography Reference Bank
- Features biographies of about 25,000 people.
- Cyndi’s List of Genealogy Sites on the Internet: Death Records > Ohio
- Cyndi’s List offers hundreds of thousands of links related to genealogy, organized and cross-referenced in over 100 categories.
- Encyclopedia.com biographies
- Encyclopedia.com has more than 100 trusted sources, including encyclopedias, dictionaries, and thesauruses with facts, definitions, biographies, synonyms, pronunciation keys, word origins, and abbreviations.
- How to find Ohio death records (Family Search)
- Ohio History Central
- Ohio History Central is an evolving, dynamic online encyclopedia that includes information about Ohio’s natural history, prehistory, and history. Ohio History Central is perfect for anyone wanting to learn more about Ohio! Ohio History Central was researched and written by staff at the Ohio History Connection.
- Sanborn Fire Insurance Maps
- Over 40,000 detailed maps of Ohio cities drawn between 1882 and 1962.
- Find cases from the U.S. Supreme Court, U.S. Circuit Courts of Appeal, and U.S. District Courts. Offers keyword search.
- The Public Library of Law
- Users must sign up for a free account to actually read cases. Find cases from the U.S. Supreme Court (1754-present), U.S. Circuit Courts of Appeal (generally 1951-present, with a few exceptions), and state cases (1997-present).
- Google Scholar
- Select "case law." You can search by all courts or federal courts, or you can choose a state court.
- Ohio Revised Code
- Codified laws of Ohio passed by the General Assembly, searchable by section number or keyword.
Magazines, Newspapers, & Journals
- All EBSCOhost databases
- Directory of Open Access Journals
- DOAJ is a community-curated online directory that indexes and provides access to high quality, open access, peer-reviewed journals.
- MasterFILE Premier (EBSCOhost)
- Multidisciplinary database provides full text for nearly 1,700 periodicals with full-text information dating as far back as 1975. Covering virtually every subject area of general interest, MasterFILE Premier also contains full text for nearly 500 reference books and over 164,400 primary source documents, as well as an Image Collection of over 592,000 photos, maps & flags.
- Newspaper Source (EBSCOhost)
- Newspaper Source provides cover-to-cover full text for more than 40 (U.S.) & international newspapers. The database also contains selective full text for 389 regional (U.S.) newspapers. In addition, full text television & radio news transcripts are also provided.
- Points of View Reference Center
- Points of View is designed to assist researchers in understanding the full scope of controversial subjects.