The Cincinnati College of Mortuary Science is an institution which endeavors to develop professionals who can function with distinction within their chosen profession and within the community of life. We strive to provide the best education possible.
The College is dedicated to providing a sound education and learning environment for its students to help them prepare for a successful career in funeral service. Central to the College philosophy is the firm belief that by example and excellence in teaching, supplemented by the opportunity for extensive practical experience, the College can develop professionals who will be technically competent, ethical and responsive to the needs of others. Inherent in this philosophy is the college’s recognition of its obligation to the student, the profession, and the community.
CCMS has as its central aim the recognition of the importance of funeral service personnel as:
- members of a human services profession;
- members of the community in which they serve;
- participants in the relationship between bereaved families and those engaged in the funeral service profession;
- professionals knowledgeable of and compliant with federal, state, provincial/territorial, and local regulatory guidelines in the geographic area where they practice as well as
- professionals sensitive to the responsibility for public health, safety, and welfare in caring for human remains.
To fulfill its mission and implement its philosophy, the College strives to meet the following objectives:
- to enlarge the background and knowledge of students about the funeral service profession;
- to provide a learning environment in which to educate students in every phase of funeral service and to enable them to develop proficiency and skills necessary for the profession;
- to educate students concerning the responsibilities of the funeral service profession to the community at large and to prepare them to serve a diverse community.
- to emphasize high standards of ethical conduct;
- to provide a discipline-specific curriculum at the post-secondary level of instruction, building upon students’ existing general education foundation.
- to encourage student and faculty research in the field of funeral service, fostering an environment of informational literacy and promoting lifelong learning.
- to ensure academic excellence through ongoing assessment.